February 23, 2013

Freeform Peyote Challenge Bloghop

 

 Two wonderful ladies who certainly know a lot about beads and beautiful beadwork set up a challenge for Freeform Peyote - Choose Your Own Adventure.   Mandi Ainsworth and Karen Williams are dedicated to sharing knowledge and helping Beadweavers learn and grow.  Check out their blogs/websites for lots of helpful information on this fascinating and beautiful craft.


This is my freeform peyote bracelet that took many many hours and many seed and complimentary beads.  The focal lampwork bead is made by a Vancouver Island glass artist, Jane Perela.  I have bought many of her beautiful beads.  The colors of this one are my favorite in aqua, teals and greens.
I caged the lampwork bead on the back side with "vines" of peyote so it wouldn't twirl .
When I heard about this challenge - I knew I had to join.  Freeform peyote happens to be the  first type of beadwork I ever created and for me it is meditative and very rewarding.  I started making freeform bracelets about 4 years ago and it appeals to my non-conforming personality.  I admit....I don't like following directions or rules and freeform is the perfect way for me to bead weave.  


Sometimes I work the rows horizontally and sometimes vertically depending on the focal bead.
 
For this particular one, I started by partially bezeling the lampwork bead and then worked outward.  I never pre-plan my designs I just figure out what colors I want to use based on the focal bead.  I normally have way too many beads laid out on my table but that adds to the mystery.
I used a black wooden clasp with inlaid silver decoration and I like the pop of black that it adds.
I use Czech glass, pearls, gemstones and any other coordinating colored beads to add texture and interest.  I tend to get carried away with the number of color variations I use, but that is just how my mind likes to work.  

Thanks for stopping by - I have really enjoyed getting back into my beads again.  Here is the list of other participants.  Please stop by their blogs and see the wonder of bead work.  Enjoy the hop!

Many thanks to Mandi and Karen for all your hard work and encouragement.  You rock!
Mandi Ainsworth
Karen Williams


Bobbie Rafferty
Sarah Meadows
Katherine Gale - you are here!
Mandy Duffy
Leanne Kirsch
Jean Hutter
Nancy Dale
Judy Riley
Natasha Wiegelman
Pam Chesbro
Stephanie Woods
Romana Tschunko
Bette Greenfield
Deborah Humphrey
Mary Harding
Melody Marie Murray
Shirley Moore
Marj
Sally Russick
Therese Frank
Tanya Goodwin
Christine Altmiller
Lea Paličková
Ivona Šuchmannová
Jennifer Chasalow VanBenschoten
Kay Haynes
Tammy Bowman  
Alisa Lehman
Lori Callahan 
Tami Norris
Jane Kettley
SaraBeth Cullinan 
Tami Norris
Julie Schmidt Bowen

34 comments:

Pam Chesbro said...

Gorgeous colors, like living by the tropical sea! I'd wear this every day.

Christine Altmiller said...

Katherine~this is wonderful! The little bird it adorable. And the bracelet is like a swim in cool, clean water...not really knowing everything that is in there with you. Beautiful!

NEDbeads said...

It's gorgeous!! I love your freeform work, and I'm happy to have met you through the FB group!! Can't wait to see more!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Oh my! This is amazing ... I love the organic feel to this with colors and the stringing effect ... it has the feel and flow of the seashore!

Mandi said...

OMG that is the cutest bird focal! I can totally relate to the no planning, but ironically this is the one freeform piece I've planned! The way you cross and zig and zag in the piece reminds me of a nest. Gorgeous piece, and so cool that you started your beading with freeform :)

Leanne K said...

Love your piece. the focal is so beautiful. love the colors. It is so fun to see all the 'styles' of free form.

Tanya said...

Stunning! I love the colors and how they just meld into each other.

Jean Hutter said...

Love your bracelet the focal is stunning and I love the colors!!!!!

CHRIS LINACRE said...

I am so loving this blog hop and so delighted to have found the facebook group too. I love the colours and structure of this- it appears so delicate yet strong - I know that's a contradiction in terms hehe

Sarah Sequins said...

Beautiful job! Your color choices are lovely, and that bird focal is the cutest thing ever. <3

ThreeRedBeads said...

Love the way the color flows and the focal is adorable. Very beautiful!

Inner Muse Jewelry Design said...

I love the direction your beadwork took playing off the gorgeous focal bead. I also appreciate the tips on your beadweaving journey. I am relatively new to Freeform Peyote and this has been a fun and creative way to learn about this technique!

Unknown said...

SUCH a cute focal! And amazing beadwork. It makes me want to try freeform peyote myself!

Karen Williams said...

I can totally see why you love Jane Perela's work! Such a sense of fun and whimsy. Your freeform peyote is always stunning and this is no exception. I enjoyed reading about your process, too - there are so very many ways to work freeform.

White Horse Beading said...

I love your bracelet and the ocean colors are just gorgeous!

Marj said...

Your bracelet is stunning and I love the colours - my favourite

SaraBeth said...

Beautiful bracelet, Katherine!

The colors are so refreshing and I like your idea of creating a network of beaded vines to keep the focal bead in place.

Bobbie said...

It's a gorgeous bracelet, built around a fantastic focal! I particularly like the vines you added behind the focal -- it adds to the visual effect of the whole piece while doing its job of stabilizing the lampwork. Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Kepi said...

Beautiful, beautiful.....I love the design, the focal you used and the colors.....gorgeous bracelet.

Spirala said...

Amazing piece - my colors! Love your focal bead and many tiny details

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous focal. I do love your style, and the pop of black in the clasp. This bracelet reminds me of seaweed fronds, softly waving in the current. And I really like that little bead in the last pic with the jagged turquoise accents. Awesome job!

Natasha said...

It is gorgeous! I am absolutely and totally in love with this bracelet!

Melody Marie Murray said...

Nice job! I love the colors.

Jane's Jewels said...

what a fun piece. I love that focal bead, and you have made a bracelet that compliments the bead so wEll. I live in Vancouver, and have been looking for more local lampwork bead artiste's I wonder if you would mind sharing where I can find this ladies work please

Unknown said...

Thanks to all who have left such positive comments. I appreciate them all so much. I want to give information on Jane Perala Designs - since Jane was asking - her Etsy shop is: https://www.etsy.com/shop/jperaladesigns
Hope this helps.
Katherine

Mary Harding said...

Love your focal and all the detail work in your bracelet,]. Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Katherine, This is so pretty. I have always adored your freeform beading. The color choice and the composition are perfect.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Katherine,
I love your bracelet, it is gorgeous! I wish I lived closer to you, so I could come and take lessons from you. I think if I just had someone to give me a little bit of guidence while I bead.
Thank you for the encouragement I am going to finish my bracelet.
Therese

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

What a sweet and comfy home you have made for Jane's little birdie! This is an example of true collaboration, where you have really allowed yourself to be inspired not only by colour and style in your focal, but also taken in the spirit of Jane's design. I neither do beading myself, nor do I always "get it", Katherine, so bonus points for impressing this outsider!

AutEv said...

This bracelet is just stunning, Katherine! That focal bead is just amazing and the way the bracelet is reminiscent of an ocean-swept beach complements the focal perfectly. Such a great job!

potterygirl1 said...

Amazing Bracelt! Love the focal and the colors!
Awesome piece!

Lorelle said...

Love the colours they've blended so well with the focal

LoriF said...

Fabulous! My favorite color scheme, and I love the way you've used mostly bridges to create the freeform. Very lacy.

Blogger said...

Did you know that that you can make cash by locking special sections of your blog or site?
Simply open an account with Mgcash and add their content locking widget.